Pages


20130813

Word of the week: epomania - noun - the rage or passion for writing epics - Wordsense.eu

Author of the Month: Come Meet . . . Robert Evert

Yes, yes, I know, I know . . . normally I interview indie authors, but this author’s fantasy series has managed to capture my interest in a huge way. (Hey, traditionally published through a small-ish indie press? Close enough!) I’ve actually grown rather fond of Mr. Evert’s story world and the fascinating characters who’ve come alive within.

Seriously!

If Edmund of Rood, or Pond Scum, or even Kravel and Gurding (two wonderfully devious and strangely urbane goblins), were to sit down to have chat and a mug of beer with me, I would be absolutely delighted! Well, delighted to chat with them, anyway. I’d pass on the beer. But I would definitely wonder: What secrets might they divulge with their guard down in a quiet and friendly discourse . . . ?

Riddle in Stone, the debut novel of a three-book series by the same name, is an absolute must-read before Mr. Evert’s forthcoming release of his second book, Betrayal in the Highlands, and is truly an excellent start to an interconnected story with a neat over-arcing plot line and an awesome atypical protag — erm, uncommon main character. Far too often we read male main characters who act all rough and tough and fairly grunt out their words. (All right, a bit of an over-exaggeration, that one.)

But Edmund of Rood . . . ? He sits upon that digital page and in one’s imagination just as richly complex as anyone you would meet in the real world. And so does Norb the stablehand, Molly the lovely barmaid, Pond Scum the . . . um . . . former merchant, Thorax the extremely loyal and wonderfully brave dog . . .

Ah, but I digress . . . I’ll let Mr. Evert explain:

* * *

I’m one of those people who have always wanted to write a novel. I’ve been writing ever since I read Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings back as fourth grade. It’s a compulsion with me. I simply have to be writing or I don’t feel right. My insides get all itchy. I must have a couple hundred half-started stories lying about my house. I believe the correct term for me is “epomania” – the need to write epics. It’s an actual diagnosis. Honest! Go look it up! There’s a 12-step program and everything.

Anyway, a few years ago, I finished my first novel-length manuscript, Riddle in Stone. It’s about a middle age guy who feels worthless. He’s fat. He stutters. He’s in love with somebody who doesn’t give him the time of day. So, to give his life meaning, he sets off on an adventure in the hopes of becoming a hero; but he quickly realizes that being a hero isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be.

Last year, my agent sold Riddle in Stone to Diversion Books. It was released in February and, to my surprise, tens of people are actually buying it! What’s even more surprising is that a lot of them seem to like it! Who would have thought?

I’m currently working on the sequel to Riddle in Stone, Betrayal in the Highlands. It should be released in August. Keep your fingers crossed! If you would like to learn more about my work, please visit my website at www.RobertEvert.com or my blog at http://robertevert.blogspot.com. Riddle in Stone is available at most online stores — including www.Amazon.com and www.BarnesandNoble.com. If you read it, please let me know! I’d love to hear your thoughts.

*  *  *
Riddle in Stone is also available as an audiobook: Riddle in Stone at The Audiobook Bay 

Here . . . read my May review of Riddle in Stone

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant interview. I'm a big fan of Robert Evertt's novel myself. Looking forward to the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Will be out soon, yes, yes, yes, and I can tell you . . . *shifty eyes* Nah. I won't tell you. But I've already gotten a sneak peek at it and, ooo . . .

      *shifty eyes again*

      Can't tell you. *goes mum*

      Delete